Doing Laundry at Home: COVID-19
1. Launder items with laundry soap or household detergent. Consider using a detergent that contains bleach. However, be sure to read the product description and guidelines to avoid potentially ruining certain clothing items.
2. Do not shake dirty laundry. This will minimize the possibility of spreading the virus through the air.
3. Choose the warmest available water setting. The World Health Organization recommend water temperatures between 60–90°C (140–194°F). However, high temperatures can damage or shrink delicate clothing items, so remember to read the care labels.
4. Dry clothing completely.
5. Disinfect laundry baskets, hampers, and bags with 0.1% sodium hypochlorite, which the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) have approved.
6. Wear gloves when doing laundry. Wash the hands with warm water and soap immediately after removing the gloves. If gloves are not available, wash the hands immediately after handling dirty clothing and avoid touching the face.